Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Silas Marner by George Eliot

This is a dramatic novel by George Eliot (the pen name of Mary Ann Evans) which was first published in 1861.
It is about a linen-weaver alien to the lands of Raveloe, exiled by himself after being falsely accused of theft and killing a deacon by not being by his side on his deathbed. Unaccustomed to Raveloe's ways and culture, Silas Marner lived a life of isolation at the Stone-pits, weaving for 15 years and tending to his monotonous life until a major event changed his life forever. Having lost his pile of gold yet gained the golden-haired Eppie, slowly, Master Marner blended with the townfolks of Raveloe and his life could never be the same again.

At first, I find this novel boring to read at, not looking forward on to anything that would make me feel interested. I just wanted to try a classic novel this time, but unknown of the adventures that lie beyond the pages. I slowly dragged myself up until half of the book and there, it came to me...the beauty of this masterpiece which George Eliot conjured. The love of a child which changed the life of an old solitary man, talking about ethics, family, religion, etc. This is the first novel I've read of George Eliot, and I'd be looking forward to more of her works.

-honey

No comments: